NIPPT

FAQ's

NIPPT FAQs

Previously a paternity test during pregnancy has involved the use of needles through an amniocentesis or a Chorionic villus sample. This is no longer necessary, and you do not need a GP or specialist gynaecologist involved. Our phlebotomy group will visit you both at a location of your choice. The samples are then returned to the laboratory where results will be available 7 working days later. Reports are confidentially released to both parties tested.

    1. Contact FGIH on 023 8011 8981/2 or email us at info@fgih.co.uk to discuss your situation and stage of pregnancy in total confidence.
    2. If you do not need to talk to us and are sure that you are at least 10 weeks pregnant then please register online at (LINK) … to order your test.
    3. A test kit (uniquely identified and assigned to you) will be automatically issued upon receipt of payment to FGIH. If unable to pay through the website please contact us.
    4. Our phlebotomists will contact you to organise your apt.
    5. Mother and alleged father attend appointment together – you will need a legal original current ID document. These include:
      1. Driving license, passport, valid visa/right to remain permit
    1. £850 pounds. This includes:
      1. the sample collection kit
      2. the collection of the samples by a registered phlebotomist at an address of your choice from the pregnant mother (note that her samples contains the baby’s DNA) and the alleged father.
      3. Your results will be provided in a written report issued within 7 working days
      4. strictly confidential counselling
  1.  
    1. The test will take between 5 and 7 working days from receipt at the FGIH laboratory. FGIH will contact you to let you know that the samples have arrived safely at the lab and are fit for processing (ie no tampering of the returned test kit).
    2. An email will be sent out advising the report is ready. Results will only be emailed to the address provided on the request/consent form at the time of sampling.
  1. Should results be required quicker than 7 working days from receipt of samples in the lab, an additional £200 will be charged for a 4 working day final report.
  1. Advances in genetic testing have resulted in the ability to identify the biological father of a foetus in the fairly early stages of pregnancy. This allows for accurate foetal DNA paternity testing from a simple blood draw from the mother with no risk of miscarriage. During pregnancy the placenta releases foetal DNA into the mother’s blood.  Unlike most DNA, which is found inside a cell’s nucleus, these fragments are free in the circulation and called cell-free DNA (cfDNA). There needs to be sufficient foetal DNA in the mother’s circulation for the test to work (usually by 10 weeks of pregnancy). These fragments are isolated and compared with the mother and the alleged father’s DNA profiles. A swab of the cells lining the inside of the mouth is all that is required from the alleged father. This more advanced technology also enables us to look at many more markers across the human genome than the standard paternity offered after birth.
    1. DNA profiles generated at the Forensic Genomics Innovation Hub are among the most informative available. In contrast to the standard paternity test available looking at between 24 and 27 markers across the human genome the ForenSeq Signature Prep kit will provide information across 152 markers. The resulting statistics that are obtained are extremely conclusive. 
    2. Results of parentage tests indicate that an individual can either not be excluded as being the biological father of the child (that is, the profiles match where expected), or that an individual can be excluded as being the biological father of the child (that is, the profiles mismatch in specific regions). Resulting statistics will be over 99.99% for a match report and 0% for an exclusion report. There will be nothing in-between.
  1.  

The FGIH will provide at least 99% probability of paternity in the case of a match or 0% probability in an exclusion. It is however important to note that due to certain scientific limitations a guaranteed result cannot be provided. It is important to be aware of this. It may be that the mother’s blood simply doesn’t contain enough foetal DNA for the test to detect it and obtain a DNA profile of the foetus. The risk of this outcome is higher if the test is conducted too early in pregnancy. Hence the strong recommendation to only test after at least 10 weeks of pregnancy. In a very small number of cases (3-5%) foetal DNA never reaches a sufficient level for a successful test. This can be for a number of medical reasons beyond the laboratory’s control. 

 

Please note, if you decide to cancel the test before we have completed the test we cannot refund you based on the high cost of the test to the laboratory.

    1. A 10ml blood sample is taken from the pregnant mother by a qualified phlebotomist. Her blood contains both her DNA and foetal DNA. 
    2. A swab is taken from the alleged father as the DNA in the blood and the cells in the mouth are the same, and equally as accurate. Please note that there is no foetal DNA however in the swab from the mother. Foetal DNA is only free floating in the mother’s blood supply.
  1. No. The laboratory has not validated the use of this sample for this test. Anyone being DNA profiled for paternity testing at FGIH must be in attendance and sign a consent form. A hair sample collected in advance does not adhere to chain of custody requirements as people must be sampled in front of the visiting phlebotomist (who is also a witness to the test).
  1. Whilst we fully understand that this is an emotional time in order to ensure that the medico-legal requirements are met, both parties are to be tested in the same space at the same time.
    1. The mother and the alleged father will both receive a copy of the report. If a carer/patient representative is in attendance and signs the consent form they too may be entitled to a report. This test does NOT require the input of your GP or a medical practitioner, or a Solicitor. It is a purely confidential test between the FGIH, the mother and the alleged father.
    2. Results will be issued by email only to the email provided on the consent form.
  1.  

Please do not hesitate to contact us on 02380… or email help@fgih.co.uk for a strictly confidential explanation of the report. Please have the report to hand as you will be asked to share the unique test report number with us so we can take you through it. Explanations/ counselling are free of charge and a priority to us.

In summary you will receive one of two different reports. Either it will say the alleged father “CANNOT BE EXCLUDED” with a matching probability of 99.99% or it will say the alleged father is “EXCLUDED” as the biological father with a matching probability of 0%.

  1. Click here to enquire about more information. Click here to order the test.