With the Government ending free COVID-19 RT-PCR testing, many of us are still keen to know if we are potentially infectious to those around us and make informed decisions on whether we should self-isolate or not. The Forensic Genomics Innovation wants to support the local community in offering;
- On-site, laboratory assisted sampling
- Same day results for all samples collected before 12 midday
- A Fit to Fly Travel Certificate if required
To make a booking contact us.
All results are uploaded to the UKHSA as per UKAS and DHSC requirements
We offer you On-site testing with a Saliva Kit and the PCR analysis of this sample. We are listed on the governmental website as a private provider of Covid-19 testing. Our Covid-19 PCR test is used for General and Fit to Fly testing. You simply spit in the collection tube and we will analyse it immediately. To get an appointment for the On-site testing please contact us if you want to do so.
We then perform a DNA/RNA-extraction. As well as DNA from you the RNA of bacteria and viruses in your sample is extracted. We then take the RNA mixture and specifically amplify only two parts of RNA that are highly specific to Covid-19 (SARS-CoV-2), along with a gene present in your DNA to confirm there is indeed sample in the tube. While we are amplifying these DNA/RNA pieces an instrument is monitoring this process. It’s like counting the number of pieces of this RNA in your sample. If you don’t have the coronavirus in your saliva the machine cannot count it and therefore your result is negative. We make sure that your sample was extracted correctly by adding controls to the PCR. We must ensure that everything worked perfectly and we can provide you an accurate, correct result. Our method is validated.
What is the difference between General and Fit To Fly ?
Essentially nothing. The test is exactly the same, they just have slightly different reporting requirements.
- General testing will provide you with a report with the results of the test.
- Fit to Fly tests come with a Travel Certificate if you test negative which means you are able to leave the country and must show the certificate at departure.
- Before you book the test, please check which rules applies for the country you will travel to. You can find this information here: